If you require general visa and immigration information for non-students, visit our dedicated Visa and Immigration page.

Following the UK’s exit from the EU, students from the EU and the EEA including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, who arrive in the UK from 1 January 2021 will need to apply for the new Student route. The UK Government website provides an introduction for EU students on the UK points-based immigration system. There are also helpful FAQs and reference pages provided by Universities UK International, Study UK and UKCISA, all are updated regularly with the latest information for EU students.  

Students from all other countries outside the EU will need to apply for a visa to study in Scotland.

The UK Government manages visas and immigration in Scotland and are the best place to visit for up to date information on visa requirements and information about applying for visas.

Visit gov.uk to find out more

What type of visa will I need?

The type of visa you’ll need apply will depend on the type of course you’re studying, the length of time you’re studying for and your age. 

The categories below will help you to find out what type of visa you should apply for.

Student Visa (Former Tier 4)

This category covers the majority of international students looking to study an undergraduate or postgraduate course in Scotland.

Find out more at gov.uk

Child Student Visa

Between the ages of 4 and 17 years old you can apply for a Tier 4 child student if you are coming to the UK to study at an independent fee paying school.

Find out more at gov.uk

Graduate Route

The new Graduate route opened for applications on 1 July 2021. Visit the UK Government page to  find out more information about eligibility, how to apply, accessing your immigration stats (eVisa) and conditions of the route. 

This is a post-study work visa that allows those who have a degree or other relevant qualification awarded by an approved UK Higher Education provider to work or look for work after their studies for a maximum period of 2 years, or 3 years for Doctoral students.

Covid-19: The UK government has given concessions to students who have, or will be, applying for the graduate route in light of Covid-19. For the latest advice, we recommend checking out the UK Government's dedicated page, which will have the most up to date information.

Innovator Founder visa

You can apply for an Innovator Founder visa if you want to set up and run an innovative business in the UK. It must be something that’s different from anything else on the market and you must be endorsed by an approved body, also known as an endorsing body. With an Innovator Founder visa you can stay in the UK for three years; you can apply to extend your stay for another three years when your visa is due to expire.

Find out more at gov.uk

Short Term Study Visa

You can apply for a short-term study visa if you’re doing a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course, a training course or a short period of research. On a short-term study visa there are restrictions on your ability to work (including work placement and work experience) or carry out any business.

Find out more at gov.uk

Standard Visitor Visa

You can apply for a Standard visitor visa if you want to study in the UK for up to 30 days (as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit) and if you want to take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18).

Find out more at gov.uk